Study Tips

Welcome to the Self Study Tips Blog. Here you will find useful, thought provoking, easy to follow tips to help you successfully complete self study programs.



Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Website Review

In reviewing the information that is available to provide self study tips, I came across a website that I found very helpful. The website is Study Guides and Strategies. This website is broken down by the following categories:
  • Time Management
  • Meeting Challenges
  • Learning
  • Learning with Others
  • Studying
  • Classroom Participation
  • Online Learning/Communicating
  • Thinking
  • Reading
  • Memorizing
  • Research
  • Project Management
  • Project Presentation
  • Writing Basics
  • Writing Types
  • Vocabulary/Spelling
  • Test Preparation
  • Taking Tests
  • Math
  • Science & Technology
  • Research
For the purposes of this blog, I focused on the Studying section. Under the Studying section I clicked on Effective Study Habits. The first thing that pops up is a 10 question quiz about your study habits. Based on your score, recommendations are made. A list of 8 habits are provided. This section also provides links to 2 different study systems. One is A.S.P.I.R.E and one is Index. The Index System is specific to note taking while A.S.P.I.R.E is an acronym for A: Approach/Attitude/Arrange, S:Select/Survey/Scan P:Piece together the parts, I:Investigate/Inquire/Inspect, R:Reexamine/reflect/relay Reexamine the content | Reflect on the material/Relay understanding, E:Evaluate/Examine/Explore. A.S.P.I.R.E is an all encompassing program that focuses on a array of information. 
In my opinion this website is very helpful for all types of studiers. While it is not specific to self studying, many of the techniques provided can be useful.  If I were to rate this website on a scale of 1-10, I would give it an 9. I gave the website a 9 because the amount of information can be overwhelming and time consuming to sift through. However, the content is well written and vast and the information is well organized. One great aspect of this website is that the content can be translated into 37 different languages. This site would be beneficial to someone that needs helps in certain subjects such as writing, math, spelling/vocabulary or science/technology. The information provided in those specific sections are extremely useful.
I am providing the link to Study Guides and Strategies for those that want to take a look.

No comments:

Post a Comment